Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Spring time - new beginnings

I love September.  Spring has graced our area and the birds welcome in the morning with their song.  While that's lovely on weekedays - much nicer to wake to those cheery sounds, I do prefer to sleep in on the weekends.
As the holidays for Queenslanders loom, my intention is to get cracking on the Christmas cooking.  It seems to me that the gift giving time looms so suddenly and despite my best intentions I always find myself wishing I had been proactive some months previous.

This year I have begun mastering the art of decorated cookies.  My biscuits have always been a hit with the fam bam.  Now the second generation are asking for the jam biscuits.  The recipe I use comes straight from the Day to Day cookery book.  I find that the best jam to use is raspberry, and I prefer the home brand generic jams.  I'm not sure what happens to those jams during their own cooking process, but they seem to be just perfect for Jam Drops.
This is my jam drop recipe.
  • 125g butter, softened
  • (1/2 cup) caster sugar
  • dash of vanilla essence
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
  • raspberry jam
 For best results I make sure that the butter sits out and becomes room temperature.  This is OK in winter, but in the heat of the tropical summer, sometimes an hour is more than enough time.  My other hot tip with biscuits is to beat the butter until it is white.  Regardless of the type of butter you use the beating seems to be the key.  For best results I only use butter, not the soft blends, not the unsalted types, just good yellow butter.
I place the butter and the caster sugar into the mixer and beat (using the paddle) until the butter is white and the sugar is just fine grains.  Break the egg and give it a whisk with a fork, and then add to the mixture making sure you beat it well.  Drop in the vanilla and slowly add the flour.
Your dough should be fairly firm.
Form small balls of mixture and drop these on a baking paper lined tray.  I make a small indent in the top of the ball and drop in some raspberry jam.  Pop these into a 160C oven and bake until golden brown.  If you want the biscuits to be hard and crunchy, decrease that temperature by a couple of degrees and keep an eye on them.
When cooked, I cool mine thoroughly before storing in containers.  I find this recipe freezes very well.  
Its a real treat to sift through the freezer and find a container of biscuits!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment