Saturday, September 20, 2014

Mint - the ancient healer

I read recently that Mint has been used for its healing properties since ancient times.  Its been made into tea, rubbed into furniture, burnt for incense and added to baths.  I love mint, and my mint has been a most abundant provider this year.  I started off with just a litt
le that I managed to get growing by putting in some water just to get the roots established.  From there, it graduated to one of those old strawberry pots where I just shoved the mint into the sections.  This pot sits in a partly shaded area but receives a decent amount of water from my irrigation system.
Now that the weather has warmed somewhat, the mint has gone mad.
Apart form giving mint to my sister to plant around her hen house, I'm going to weed mine out and make some mint tea.

Making mint tea is relatively straight forward.  Just pick the mint early in the morning, rinse and pat dry.  I lay mine out on a baking tray and leave in the oven at about 160C util the leaves have dried out.  Watch them carefully so that they don't dry out and burn.
Once dried I store them in a glass container.  I put the leaves in my infuser and hello mint tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment